Page 10 – Autobiography – Benjamin Lafayette Smith
          move, for when I did it pained me greatly. I had to use a bed pan in vacating my bowels,
         and when urinating the nurse gave me a large mouth bottle. I had scarcely no pain lying
         perfectly still, and soon began to eat heartily, and my wound began to heal. My bowels
         moved regularly, and my general health was fine. A regimental surgeon, Dr. Trip, from a
         Louisiana regiment, attended the wounded of our room regularly everyday. He made no
         attempt to set my leg until the 25th of December, when he went through the form of setfing
         it, placing it in a box the length of my leg, and kept in this about four weeks. Though
         somewhat uncomfortable I slept fairly well, and felt very comfortable. When it was removed
         about the middle of February it had knitted well enough for me to get up and walk a little on
         my crutches. As soon as the Federal officer in charge found this out, he had me sent to
         Nashville and placed in B.B. Breeds hospital. While at Col. McGavocks, he and his wife
         were very kind and attentive to us and fed us a good deal at his own expense.
              I was placed in charge of a Federal surgeon Dr. Fisher from Michigan, who attended
         the wounded in his ward of the hospital. Moving about on crutches irritated the wound,
         which had not entirely healed, though the bone of my thigh had knit pretty well together. I
         began to have rigors, which Dr. Fisher treated for chills, but his treatment for chills did not
         stop the rigors. He had asked more than once if the ball had been removed from my leg. I
         told him I knew it had not, but he was inclined to think I might be mistaken for he thought it
         great and almost criminal act of that it had not been removed. He finally administered
         chloroform and extracted the ball, which was one with zinc washer in the center. The
         operation and chloroform threw me into extremely high fever for four or five days, and came
         very near killing me. In this almost deathly condition I was put on a stretcher and carried by
         four men to another part of the hospital about a block distant, and Dr. Woodruff a Federal
         surgeon from Louisville KY. took charge of me. In two or three days I was changed and put
         in charge of Dr. Talbert another surgeon from Louisville. I began to improve under him,
         and in a short while began to walk on crutches a little. In three or four days after I was
         taken out of Dr. Woodruff’s charge, he was curious to see how I was getting, and came in
         my room to see me, and expressed surprise at my rapid improvement. He said my extra
         flesh was all that saved me. I remained in Dr. Talberts charge about ten days and was
         changed the third time and placed in charge of Dr. Win. Way another surgeon from
         Louisville. I was in his charge as long as I staid in Breeds Hospital. In this convalescent
         condition, thin and weak with but little appetite, not in condition to travel, in the month of
         May, a month after Lee’s surrender to Grant, was sent with other prisoners of war to a
         wayside prison at Louisville KY., and fed on fat pork and bakers bread, brought in a dirty
         wheelbarrow, by a large fat, black and greasy negro, who was impudent and dictatorial. We
         remained in the prison until the 21st of June when all of us took the oath of allegiance, were
         released and furnished transportation as near to our homes as we could get. I was furnished
         transportation on a boat to Memphis Tenn. While waiting for a boat, two days, to carry me
         down the river, I went out on the street and hunted up Dr. Way under whose care I was a
         part of the time at B. B. Breeds hospital in Nashville Tenn. He invited me to go to his home
         at his fathers, and stay until the boat left, and directed me how to go. I went and his father,
         an aged white haired gentlemen met me at his door and extended me a cordial welcome. He
         said to me while he was a Union man, he sympathized with the South. A few minutes after
         was seated his son Dr. Way got in and noticed that my pants were worn and soiled, and gave
         me a very good pair of his cloth pants. When I got ready to leave, the old gentleman
         insisted that I stay several days longer to get stouter. As I had not heard a word from home