Page 3  Autobiography  Benjamin Lafayette Smith 
 help in raising hogs. About the year 1850, my father employed a well borer, James Alfred,
 to bore him a deep well, 350 feet deep, four inches diameter, and close to this a well fifty
 feet deep, three feet diameter, the two connected by a two inch hole. This well ever after
 this afforded water for domestic purposes and for his work stock, also for other stock when
 creeks and pools dried up in summer. This same well is now used by Saunders Wilburn.
 R.S. Smith was born April 18th 1844
 W. P. Smith was born October 23rd 1845
 E. G. Smith was born December 23rd 1850
 R. E. Smit was born February 15th 1852
 N. E. Smith was born September 25th 1853
 C. R. Smith was born June 9th 1855
 Curtis C. Smith was born January 7th 1857
 Ed. E. Smith was born February 6th 1859
 Mackie Smith was born February 6th 1861
 Babe Smith
 About the year 1850, I commenced going to school, and first went to J. W. Chandler
 at Prairie Hill. He taught in the same log house that my father was teaching in when I was
 born. A young man Frank Fields for whom my father was guardian, boarded with my
 father, and both of us walked to school to Chandler. I went to school to him about six
 months. He was kind but firm in his management, and kept good order, and had the respect
 and good will of his pupils.
 About 1851, Sherman started to school, and we both went to a man by the name of
 Steward at the Sixteenth Section, where my father taught before I was born. He taught about
 six months only. He was rough and unkind in his management, and whipped Sherman often
 without a good reason for it. After this, probably during the next year, we went again to
 Prairie Hill to Joshua Woods and my third brother Penn started, all of us walking.
 Sometimes we rode horseback all three on same horse. He was a good manager and had the
 good will of his pupils. He taught five or six months this year and part of the next, about
 the middle of the summer resigned and went to Crawford Miss to teach. He was followed
 by a teacher by the name of Carter. He was a very stern man and kept the best of order
 with very little whipping. He taught only three or four months.
 About the year 1853 my father employed a man just from Virginia to build him, a
 nice but plain framed house. It was a single story with four rooms with twelve foot hail
 between and two small porches with two small square columns to each porch. The roof was
 plain with a large gable in each end and one window in each gable. A long narrow room
 shaped thus was made over these four rooms and under the roof. This room was floored
 with matched flooring, and ceiled throughout. It was used mostly for a store room, but
 Sherman, Penn and myself slept in it a good deal when the house was first built. It was
 entered by a plain straight stairway at back end of the hall. The hall was enclosed by double
 panel doors with transom and side lights at each end. The rooms and hail were ceiled
 throughout with dressed matched ceiling, except the parlor which was plastered. The lumber
 for the whole house, including that for doors, sash and blinds, was cut at a sawmill in
 Winston county, and my father had it all hauled and his on wagon and had it all kill dried.
 Albert Kirkland, the contractor, had all of the lumber dressed by hand, including the dressing
 and matching all the flooring and ceiling, and making the molding. He himself made the
 doors, sash and blinds. The house was painted inside and out white, except blinds, which