Page 6 – Autobiography – Benjamin Lafayette Smith
         one room, but his bed and everything in it looked neat. His wife had just died, and he
         himself cooked some biscuit and sausage, and out of that and some nice milk I made my
         supper. Being very tired, sleepy and worn out, after five days of exposure, and as many
         sleepless nights, and suffering from my wound, he put me in his own bed, and he slept in a
         trundle bed with his two motherless children. Being so worn out, I slept soundly all night,
         and felt somewhat refreshed. The bed was badly stained from my bleeding wound. I
         expressed my regrets, at this, but he assured me that it was a pleasure for him to take care of
         me. He soon gave me a good and well cooked breakfast, prepared prepared by himself. He
         soon caught his horse, a nice large, fine and gentle bay, and helped me up on him, and
         started with me toward Nashville, saying that he would go with me as far as he could. We
         were soon overtaken by a hack with wounded soldiers in which he put me, and bid me a
         kind farewell and started back home. The ride over rough pikes the balance of that day, and
         3 P. M. The next, getting to Nashville, was very tiresome, and at times was very painful to
         me. Going through the streets, we were stopped by kind and sympathetic ladies and given
         refreshments. I made my way to the Columbia depot, and remained there till night, and took
         the cars to Columbia. Staid there all night as the cars went no further, with a very old and
         kind hearted gentleman by the name of Lamb. He had a large nice house. He gave me a
         good room and gave me supper and breakfast. None of his family were at home. I think
         they had gone South. I rested fairly well that night, and tool the cars next morning to
         Leighton Alabama, reaching there about 3 P. M. Wednesday the 17th of February. I got
         word to Uncle Ed Delony, and he promptly sent his carriage for me. Reaching his home,
         his wife, who was his second wife, received me very kindly and cordially and soon had me
         in a comfortable bed. His first wife was my fathers only sister Nancy. He was not at home
         when I first reached there, but soon came, and carefully examined and dressed my wound
         which was the first time it had been well attended, to since I was wounded on Saturday
         morning the 14th. He pronounced it a serious but not dangerous wound. I found him to be
         competent, kind and attentive surgeon. Mrs Delony gave me some supper and I soon fell
         asleep, and slept well all night. Uncle Ed wrote my father, and in a few days he came and
         remained with me until, I was well enough to be carried home. My father being a good
         nurse, fixed me in a comfortable position in my bed, which made me feel better. My body
         servant old uncle Perry, who was with me at Fort Donaldson got separated from me there,
         and did not come with me, but followed as soon as he could, and come to me at Uncle Eds a
         few days after Father did. I remained there about three weeks, and was given the very best
         attention, by him, his wife and an old family maid servant of theirs, Mafia. While there
         Uncle Ed became too unwell to attend to my wound and called in a neighbor doctor, a
         German, Dr. Kumpil to dress it. He came to see me every day for three or four days, and
         left for ho??, he met me at Leighton at nine o’clock at night, the time my train left for
         Corinth, and dressed my wound. My father asked him his bill, but he would not accept
         anything for his services. He was pleasant and agreeable, and occasionally witty. We
         reached Artesia next, where my had a conveyance to carry us home. Being in a weak
         condition the trip wearied me some. By this time my wound began to suppurate freely,
         sometimes as much as a teacup full could be pressed from it a dressing. Father dressed it
         morning and night. Sometimes when he was late at night, the pus became offensive, so
         much so as to keep me from sleeping until it was dressed. I gradually improved and by the
         first of June dispersed with a sling for my arm. I was soon stout enough, to help my father