Site Copyright © 2011.
Billups Gate, Lowndes County, Mississippi History
Four miles east of Artesia was located, Billups Station on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad. The station had two waiting rooms with pot bellied stoves. Billups Station was considered the largest private, hay shipping center in the world. There was a cotton gin, a country store, a school house and a cheese manufacturing plant.
The plant was built in 1921 and was in operation for 3 years, before closed and was consolidated with the Prairie School called "Flag Pole". Them were six students, Charles Wilburn, Saunders Wilburn, Marion Stevens, Francis Stevens, Jesse Lynn Dodson and Carlton Billups. Mrs. Mary Lee Slaughter taught the first grade and Mrs. T. Bailey Hardy the last two grades.
A cheese plant was constructed in 1926 and was called the Barbour Cheese Plant. 'The plant operated for four or five years.
A country store joined the cheese plant and operated for several years. The area was known as Billups Gate, with it, connection to the Billups plantation on which it stood. T. C. Billups lived on the Billups Gate Plantation, James S. Billups lived on the plantation to the east. Harvey Cook lived on his plantation to the west. To the north lived Saunders Billups Carson on his land and south across the creek lived T. Bailey Hardy on his plantation.
The only reminder left today is the road sign on the new Artesia Road which says Billups Gate Road and an old Railroad Building which is falling down. The new Golden Triangle Regional Airport is located just to the north of this intersection.