Site Copyright © 2011.
All rights reserved.



God Bless America!


Please choose one:
  • Lowndes County Home
  • Archives
  • African American Resources
  • B.L. Smith Letters
  • Cemeteries
  • Census Links
  • Churches
  • Death Records
  • Military History & Rosters
  • Columbus-Lowndes Preservation Alliance
  • County Contact/Addresses
  • History
  • MSLownde-List
  • Local Research Links
  • LookUps
  • Maps
  • Miscellaneous
  • Marriages
  • Native American Resources
  • Obituaries
  • Bibles, Photos & Family Bios
  • Professional Researchers
  • Queries Board
  • Research Info
  • Reunions
  • Surnames
  • Towns of Lowndes
  • Wills
    Neighboring Counties:
    Clay (North)
    Oktibbeha (west)
    Monroe (north of Clay)
    Noxubee (south)
  • McIntyre Station

    Shaeffer's Chapel Methodist Church Congregation in 1964

    McIntyre Station was one of two flag stops on the G.M.& O Railroad between Columbus and Artesia. A flag stop was a small building which sheltered people while they waited to flag the train by raising a metal rod or arm attached to the building. It was used primarily as a place from which gravel and logs could be shipped, but people who wished to "catch the train" could also get on there.

    North of the tracks was rich farm land which extended to what is now Highway 82 West. One of the earliest settlers known to own this land was John Pitchlyn, who acquired it as a payment for his services of acting as interpreter at the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. He, with his Indian wife, built a one-story, twelve-room house on a hill within the sight of the Old Robinson Road. One large room in his home was used as the "Meeting Place" for the Indian Chiefs. It is said that some of the Pitchlyn family were buried there.

    After the Pitchlyns, Lamael Fields came into possession of the land for a short time, then sold it to the Brownridges in 1836. Mr. Brownridge had a sawmill between the place and Columbus and was also imvolved in starting the town of Westport. Unfortunately, for him, he went on the note of a friend who lived in Westport. When the Great Flood came which wiped out that town, he was called on to pay this note and lost some of his own land as a result.

    I don't know whether there were any more owners before Mr. Bob Williams or not,but Mr. Williams sold the place to Gano and Mary Arrington Johnson of Mt. Sterling, Kentucky in 1911. The place was called McIntyre, for the station, and had a one-story, six room house with a porch which extended around three sides. It was set in a large grove in sight of the station.

    The Johnsons had two children, Elizabeth and Arrington. Elizabeth married Ellis Rhett during World War I and moved away. Arrington farmed the place as his father's health was poor. He married Louise Evans in 1922. They had two children, William Gano and Joanna Shields.

    When the small children would hear the train whistle, they would run to the fence separating the land from the tracks and sit on the stile. The conductor would throw chewing gum or candy to them, and after the train passed, they would scramble down to get it. They were highly indignant when the big steam engine gave place to the electric one, which they disdainfully named "The Doodle Bug".

    The family lived there until the Great Depression. Ellis and Elizabeth with their four boys, Ellis, Bill, Bob and Rowe (Munford and Parker came later), moved back to Georgia to try to help save the place, but to no avail. Farm prices hit bottom, and the Federal Land Bank took over.

    Later, Howard Nason bought the place, and it was while he lived there that the house burned. He sold the place to Leon and Grave Bell, who built a house on thenorth side of the place in sight of Highway 82 West. They and their four boys, Leon, Jr., James, Harvey and William, lived there for some years, later moving to Texas.

    The place changed hands several times, and in 1970 Colonel Henry E. Warden ("Pete") bought. He had married Joanna Johnson and a few years after his retirement from the Air Force, decided to buy her childhood home. They, with their three children, Henry, Jr., (Hank), Joanna (Cissie), and Billy, were living there as of 1980. The train still runs but does not stop and carries only freight, so McIntyre Station is NO MORE.


    Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved

    Lowndes, Mississippi Genealogy & History Network
    http://lowndes.msghn.org

    Hosted by C. L. Herrick | Mona Tomlinson | Ruth Ann Faris, Co-County Directors.

    The Mississippi Genealogy & History Network
    is managed by the MSGHN Executive Council.