Site Copyright © 2011.
All rights reserved.



God Bless America!


Please choose one:
  • Lowndes County Home
  • Archives
  • African American Resources
  • B.L. Smith Letters
  • Cemeteries
  • Census Links
  • Churches
  • Death Records
  • Military History & Rosters
  • Columbus-Lowndes Preservation Alliance
  • County Contact/Addresses
  • History
  • MSLownde-List
  • Local Research Links
  • LookUps
  • Maps
  • Miscellaneous
  • Marriages
  • Native American Resources
  • Obituaries
  • Bibles, Photos & Family Bios
  • Professional Researchers
  • Queries Board
  • Research Info
  • Reunions
  • Surnames
  • Towns of Lowndes
  • Wills
    Neighboring Counties:
    Clay (North)
    Oktibbeha (west)
    Monroe (north of Clay)
    Noxubee (south)
  • PLYMOUTH

    As taken from William Mayo Ellis, Jr., who granted permission to reprint parts of the copywritten book "Lowndes County, Mississippi, a photographic reminiscence 1830-1980". Written and Compiled by The Lowndes County Department of Archives and History, Board of Directors (1980) William Mayo Ellis, Jr., President, Mrs. George Eaton, Sec., Mr. George Eaton, Mrs. Ray Furr, Mrs. Allison Hardy, Mrs. Russell Husband, Mrs. Lena Brooks, Mr. Jack Donnell, and Mrs. Betty Wood Thomas, Director.

    Although now an extinct community, Plymouth was the first settlement in Northeast Mississippi. It was located in the southeast quarter of Section Ten, Township Nineteen, Range Seventeen east, or as early records indicated, at the mouth of Tibbee Creek where it joined the Tombigbee River.

    The Plymouth area was the logical place for a settlement to grow. For years Indian trails had conveyed on the river crossings near Plymouth, and trade routes from Charleston, South Carolina and from Georgia passed nearby. Those river crossings at Peachland's Ford and Rocky Ford were both located within a mile of Plymouth. During the early 1800's, a ferry operated to Peachland's Ford, and later, a bridge was built across the Oktibbeha River at Rocky Ford.

    Of course, the land was under Choctaw control until 1830 when the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek ceded it to the United States, but white settlers had entered the region much earlier. John Pitchlyn, the first white settler, came in the late 1700s and established a trading post in Plymouth's Bluff. Early maps refer to Plymouth as Pitchlyn. A list of land grants issued before 1830 includes the following settlers in the Plymouth area: Barbary Childs, E. S. Moore, John Hyde, Malcomb Zilchrist, R. E. Moore, Daniel W. Ragsdale, Lavandar S. Wilkins, William N. Couch, William Stewart, Thomas H. West, Richard Evans, Susan Morgan, David R. Prowell, William J. Prowell, Pleasant Campbell, Calvin Howell, John C. Cox, Seth Peebles, Orlando Canfield, William E. Hyde, Jesse W. Garth.

    Settlers continued to move into the area. Circuit Court records list the names of residents as of 1830 as follows:

    John Pitchlyn, Ovid P. Brown, John Rogers, John Pitchlyn, Jr., Edward Kewen, John H. Hand, Daniel W. Nail, John Billington, James L. Wood, John Morgan, Joseph B. Fields, William Bennett, William W. Bell, L. S. Wilkins, Francis Leech, John Howell, Peter P. Pitchlyn, Aduiano Guffin, William M. Robinson, Benjamin Nail, William Prowell, Thomas B. Mullen, John B. Johnson.

    The flow of people continued to Lowndes County, but after Columbus was chosen as county seat, Plymouth, like so many of the small towns, began to decline. Today, the land that was Plymouth is part of the estate of W. R. Prowell (1980).

    Prowell Family


    Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved

    Lowndes, Mississippi Genealogy & History Network
    http://lowndes.msghn.org

    Hosted by C. L. Herrick | Mona Tomlinson | Ruth Ann Faris, Co-County Directors.

    The Mississippi Genealogy & History Network
    is managed by the MSGHN Executive Council.